Saturday, February 18, 2006

Rangers Pitching Coach Rudy Jarimillo Has Prostate Cancer

When spring training began for the Texas Rangers, optimism about the upcoming 2006 season was at all time high.

"It was one of those you didn't want to end," said Ranagers Manger. "You couldn't draw up any better."

But three days into their training camp, medical news about their hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo turned that optimism into concern.

"I had a biopsy about three weeks ago and it came back positive," said Jaramillo. "I've got a couple of cancer spots in my prostate, and i'm going to get it taken care of.

Jaramillo made it a point to tell the players about his prostate cancer before their fourth practice, and he also told them he'd have to leave to have surgery.

"Yeah, no doubt about it, the urologist said I need to have it done within two months," says Jaramillo. "They gave me some options, but I prefer to have the surgery, go in there and cut it out, that way in my mind, I'm relieved, so I can just go on.

Jaramillo is one of the most respected hitting coaches in the game today. He still dreams of being a manager some day, but right now, he has a lot more than just baseball on his mind.

"I don't tell Rudy anything expect get it done and get it right," says Manager Buck Showlater. "our guys are going to rally around him. Rudy takes this on like he takes on everything, don't tell him he can't do something"

General Manager Jon Daniels expressed similar thoughts. "My thoughts are exclusively with Rudy getting the best treatment that he can, and getting better. That's where all of our heads are right now," he said.

Michael Young credits Jaramillo for helping him win the 2005 American League Batting title last, and now finds himself pulling for a guy who fine tuned his game.

"He tries to downplay everything, saying its no big deal guys," says Young. "We love the guy, we thing he is best, and we're all going to be praying for him"

Jaramillo was unphased by the news that he had cancer. "When the doctor told me, it didn't phase me," he says. I have faith and I believe in today's technolgy. It happens all the time, so its nothing new. I'm real strong, and i'm just going to take car of it."

Jaramillo remains optimistic that he can be back for opening day, but a lot will depend who quickly and how well he recovers.

No comments: