Friday, September 29, 2006

Remembering Byron Nelson

They came to North Richland Hills, Texas by the Thousands, to honor golf legend Byron Nelson.

They traveled by bus, by private limo, and some, not surprisingly, of naturally, by golf cart.

Among them, PGA tour commissioner Tim Finchem, who says Nelson, changed the way tournaments are conducted today.

Said Finchem, Byron's leadership created a standard with the tournament here, that has done so much for people, that its being emulated around the country and around the world and has changed how people go around and interact with tour golf.”

Ben Crenshaw traveled from Austin, Texas to pay his respects. “He spent sixty years promoting the game of golf, in every way that he could, an unbelievable example for us all.”

Dallas native Justin Leonard grew up in the shadows of a golfing legend. “The reason a lot of us are here to pay our respects is what he achieved away from the game,” said Leonard. “He did it by not just winning golf tournaments, but what he did for the game of golf. We respect him as a person, not just as a player.”

Nelson protégé and friend Ken Venturi was among the first to eulogize. “The game of golf would not be what it is today without Byron, not only a great champion, but the finest gentleman that ever was,” he said.

In the end, it was Peggy Nelson, his wife of nearly 20-years, who enjoyed every moment of their life together.

“I just knew my prince charming was out there somewhere. but it wasn't until I waited for God to lead me, that I found him, or more accurately, he found me,” she said. “This man was even better than a prince, because his nickname was Lord Byron. He taught me how to treasure every moment we had, but insisting that we celebrate our anniversary every month, because as he said, I will never have enough time with you.”

Peggy continued with a eulogy that no one will ever forget. “Thank you for loving him so much,” she said. “I want you to know the last words from him on Tuesday before I left for church, for bible class, I'm so proud of you, and I know he would want to say that to every one of you. Thank you.”

No comments: