Monday, February 12, 2007

Lincoln Kennedy Trys Comeback at Age 36

Lincoln Kennedy has been out of pro football for the past three seasons, but this year at age 36, he's trying to make a comeback with the Dallas Desperados of the Arena Football league.

“It’s just trying to get acclimated,” says Kennedy. “It’s like that old theory, once you learn how to ride a bike, you learn how to ride it. You may not be as proficient as if your riding every day, but once you get back on you know what you’re doing.”

Kennedy retired from pro football in 2003 after a career that included three trips to the pro bowl as a member of the Oakland Raiders. He was drafted in the first round 1993 by the Atlanta Falcons. He never won a Super Bowl, but he did play in one, losing in Super Bowl XXXVII against Tampa Bay. Talk about credentials.

“Yeah the guy is a three time pro bowler, All American, and the guys look up to him, just from the standpoint from what he's done,” says Desperados Head Coach Will McClay. “He's come in, and fit in within the group. He's realized that he's got a lot of things to learn. He’s fit in well, so that's clearing the first hurdle there.”

“I’m not sitting here to say I'm going to go another ten years,” says Kennedy. “I mean that's not realistic. I don't want to be George Blanda playing this game. I'm trying to get this last bit out of me. I want to finish off what I started a long time ago when I said i want to play 12-years professionally. I finished with 11. I came up a little short of my goal, so I want to see that 12th.

Kenney has no idea how long he'll be able to play the indoor game, but as long as he likes football and is still able to play, it really doesn't seem to matter.

“What I'm doing right now, at this particular point of my life, is that you play for just the year that your in,” says Kennedy. “Let everything fall in front of you. Come as they may. I didn't leave with an injury. I left because I was burned out. I was mentally burned out, and when I reenergized mentally, and put that focus back into perspective I was able to come out.”

Kennedy admits his body has been slow to catch up, but if he can make it a12th year, there is certainly nothing wrong to shoot for 13.

No comments: