Saturday, August 04, 2007

Michael Irvin Enters The Pro Football Hall of Fame


When he arrived for his induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio, former Cowboys Wide Receiver Michael Irvin made sure his former boss looked his best. He straightened out team Owner Jerry Jones’ tie.

“How does it look?” Jones chuckled toward the crowd gathered behind the fence.

Jones would be his presenter while inside, former teammates and coaches, gathered to watch. I counted about a dozen, but there may have been more.

Dave Campo, a former Head Coach in Dallas, was excused by his boss, Head Coach Jack Del Rio in Jacksonville to witness the event. “I tell you what, he's probably the best overall competitor that I've ever been around,” said Campo.

Former Cowboys Safety James Washington said “When we didn't have to be there in the film room, he was there anyway, and the reason why he was doing all that is the reason you'll see him on that stage in a moment.”

Former Defensive Lineman Jim Jeffcoat was there as well. “Michael wanted to win in the worst way, and that was wonderful to see, and it’s wonderful to have teammates like that,” he said.

Irvin's most loyal fans made the trip to Canton, like Carolyn Price, considered by many to be the team’s number one fan.

“Michael signed this shirt for me, he autographed that, you see it,” she said. “We have Troy in, and we get Michael in, and then Emmitt has yet to come.”

The Cowboys now have eight former players in the Pro Football Hall of Fame; Irvin is the first wide receiver from the Cowboys organization. If you include Former Head Coach Tom Landry and Former Team President Tex Schramm, the number for Dallas is ten. But three was a time not too long ago that Irvin didn't know if he would ever be voted in and join the elite group.

“I sat right here where you are last year and I watched the Class of 2006, and I said, Wow, that's what a Hall of Famer is. Certainly I am not that. I doubted I would ever have the chance to stand before you today,” Irvin said during his speech.

Irvin's emotional address alluded to off the field incidents that spoiled his reputation, and apologized to everyone for his behavior, including his wife.

“It’s easy to live with the for better, but rarely, can you find someone who sticks around and endures the for worse. Sandi, my beautiful wife, I have worked, I worked tireless baby to give you the for better, but I also gave you the for worse, and you didn't deserve it. You didn't deserve it,” Irvin said.

After his speech, his wife Sandi talked about Irvin and his apology to her.

“I think tonight, he's going to grow even more past that, because I forgive Michael, totally. I know what he went through, is what made him the man he is today, and he's a good man, good man,” she said.

Saturday's induction clears the way for Former Cowboys Running Back Emmitt Smith, to eventually share a spot in the Hall of Fame with Irvin and Troy Aikman.

“I think the fact that each of us have had, or will have our own moment on that stage alone, I think is somewhat meaningful,” said Aikman.

Smith, who will be eligible in 2010 said “its a great tribute to the organization, to the leadership of Jerry Jones and what he's been able to accomplish, since he's owned the team, and its also a tribute to all the players, Troy, Michael, and hopefully myself, to be positioned for this opportunity.”

Irvin's speech turned out to be one for the ages, and talked about revealing a side of him never before seen.

“It was real. I needed to share, with all that had gone on in my life, and everything, I just wanted to let people know where I am,” he said. “So many people think he did all this stuff, and he's still in the hall, and they think I got away with something, I didn't get away with it, it haunts me, it haunts me all the time. It’s something I live with every day.”

Regardless of what happens from here on, he will always be a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

No comments: