Monday, February 11, 2008

SMU'S JON KILLEN IS A STUDENT FIRST


SMU Point Guard Jon Killen fits the definition of a student athlete. He’s one of three seniors on the men’s basketball team and is a graduate of Arlington Martin High School. This year, in his final season, he has become Head Coach Matt Doherty’s leader on the court.

“He's one of the best players in the league now,” says Doherty. “He plays more minutes than anybody else. I don’t think you can argue the fact that he is more valuable to our team than any other player is to their team.”

Killen compares his position to a player football. “Being the point guard is kind of like being the quarterback,” he says. “No one has to say anything. You are the leader.”

Because he grew up in the North Texas, Killen says he plans to stay in the Dallas Fort Worth area. “I plan on living in the area after I graduate so if there was anywhere to go, it was SMU.”

Playing basketball for SMU is a great way to attend college, but Killen takes his commitments off the court even more serious. He's about to graduate with a double major in Business Management and Sociology and maintains 3.4 GPA. Says Killen, “SMU athletes embody student athletes and that's somebody who first goes to school and works just as hard on the court as they do off the court.”

To make his point, Killen is doing research to help co-author a book, but his favorite moment in school is when he received the Myer Brothers Academic Award. It’s given to an athlete for academic success, athletic performance and community involvement.

“I know it’s a new award, but it’s supposed to embody a student athlete who works hard on and off the court,” he says. It’s a student involved on campus and things like that, so that's really a big deal because we've got so many good kids here at SMU.

Doherty says Killen may have a chance to play professional basketball in Europe, but until that happens, he says he has no idea what the future holds.

“You know, I wish I knew. I wish I knew,” he says. “I'm just so busy to make sure I graduate my senior year.”

Doherty gives him a ringing endorsement. “Every time I talk publicly, if you want to have a successful company, you should hire Jon Killen.”

No comments: