Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Bill Parcells and His Rookie Class

Bill Parcells can't remember the last time he had ten rookies on one team.

“I don't think ever,” he said at Monday’s press briefing. “I mean, none of my good teams ever had it,” he said laughing. “I know that. So, I mean, there's not that many jobs, but the game has changed too.”

This year, his rookie total is ten. That includes seven draft picks and three free agents. All but one of his draft picks is on the team, but Safety Justin Beriault will be back next year, after being placed on injured reserve for the rest of the year.

In 1975, Dallas had 12-rookies, and made it to Super Bowl X. They've had more since, including eleven in 1984 and eleven in 1991, but ten is a lot.

“I don't remember him having this many rookies,” says Jason Ferguson who was drafted by Parcells. “I definitely don't, not as young a team as we have. (this year) We'll see. I think, so far, we can count on a few of them, and if a few will show their faces, we'll be alright.”

Free agents are always the longest of long shots, and this year there are three.

Thomas “Pepper” Johnson was an undrafted Defensive Tackle from Middle Tennessee State. Says Johnson, “It feels pretty good coming in with Marcus Spears and Demarcus Ware. They’re pretty good players, and I made it just like they made it, so I feel like I'm a pretty good player now too.”

Running back Tyson Thompson, became the first Irving native to make the Cowboys roster. “It’s a great feeling to be able to compete and play for your home town team, America's team, so I'm just thankful.”

Then there’s Jon Condo, who takes over the Long Snapping duties. “Coach Parcells came up to me and said, ‘hey you can do this for fifteen years,’ and I was like wow. I've never put it in perspective like that, “he said. “It’s going to be hard to replace Jeff Robinson, but I just want to go out there and do whatever I can to help out the team.”

Rob Petitti made the team at Right Tackle, closing the most competitive position during training camp. “I mean, this is my first year, so I don't really know,” he said. “I don't know. We look good I think, but what do I know, you know. I'm still learning.”

The teams top draft pick, Demarcus Ware is ready for the season as well. “I think its going to work out really well,” he said, “and I think we'll be able to contribute.”

But rookies will be rookies, and sometimes, gaining experience can come at a cost.

Says Parcells, “I don't know, that's not that good news. I know its good news and its bad news. It’s good news for the future. It’s bad news for right now. But you know, maybe six weeks from now, that won't be bad news.”

Having this many rookies on one team is unfamiliar territory for Parcells, but it may also show his commitment to rebuilding this franchise, and it may also show his commitment to the future. He remains under contract through the 2006 season.

No comments: