Monday, September 05, 2005

Cowboys Roster Adjustments

The Calendar says its time for the regular season to begin. In fact, the Dallas Cowboys roster for opening day was set for about two days, before changes began to move in.

First there was a switch at wide receiver, as Quincy Morgan was released and replaced by Peerless Price from Atlanta. Price signed a one year contract, said to be worth $1 million plus another $1 million in incentives

“I didn't promise him anything,” said Bill Parcells, head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. “What I told him the other day is true, I said you have to make your own role. I said, I don't know if you’re going to play or not play, you have to earn your way in. These players have won my respect, so you’re going to have to do something to do that.”

Quarterback Drew Bledsoe lobbied extensively to convince the Cowboys to bring Price to Dallas. The two played together in Buffalo, where he had one of his best years, playing with Bledsoe. But, if he expects to play on opening day, it might be tough.

Said Price, “I think if its on a small scale, yeah. I can do some things this weekend, obviously but as far as understanding the entire play book, I think it will take a couple of weeks.”

As far as who was responsible for him coming to Dallas, Price said, “Coach Parcells played a major part, Jerry Jones played a major part, just the opportunity to come in here and play with guys that are established. I want to play with guys like Keyshawn Johnson and Terry Glenn and Drew Bledsoe.”

The Cowboys also acquired two players from Kansas City. One is free agent safety Willie Pile, which gives Dallas a much needed third safety behind Roy Williams and Keith Davis.

“I was at the computer,” says Pile, “and I was like, man they've only got two safeties and they had one on injured reserve. So I'm like, of all the places, this would be a perfect opportunity to come in, and learn behind two safeties that can play.”

The Cowboys other move included the replacement of Eric Ogbogu. He was released before the team traded for Linebacker Scott Fujita from Kansas City. It cost Dallas a 6th round draft pick next year, and a conditional pick in 2007. Fujita is a man who lead that team in tackles the last two years.

“I got a call from Carl Peterson Saturday afternoon after all the final cuts were made, and he said, hey we just traded you to the Dallas Cowboys. I said thank you for accommodating my wishes, and best of luck.” Asked if he had wanted to be traded, Fujita said, “Yes, I did.”

So with these latest roster adjustments, the cowboys can now start thinking about their first game against San Diego, but with Bill Parcells, the next change is always a just a day away.

No comments: