Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Brad Wilkerson Ready To Take Over Centerfield For Texas

Outfielder Brad Wilkerson is one of three players the Rangers acquired when 2nd Baseman Alfonso Soriano was traded to Washington. The trade also included Terrmel Sledge and a minor league pitcher. Now, as he prepares for another season, Wilkerson finds himself playing for his third team since turning pro five years ago.

“Its not too bad,” says Wilkerson. “I've played against some of these guys. This is a great bunch of guys they already have here, great core of players that go about their business the right way. I feel like I'm going to fit in right away.”

Wilkerson hit .248-last year, but is a career .268-hitter. He was hampered by a right forearm injury last year, but he says he's healthy again, and may become the teams leadoff hitter this year. He's patient at the plate.

“He's going to take a walk,” says Manager Buck Showalter. “He's going to play good defense. He's a baseball player. He loves to compete and has that look in his eye. I think he's real excited to be here.”

“This team has got massive power,” says Wilkerson. “I think by me maybe fitting in at the top of the order, getting on base and scoring a lot of runs, I feel like that's going to be my biggest job this year. I feel \the way I play the game, and what I bring to the table, especially the way this team plays the game, I feel I'm going to fit in right away.”

The Rangers outfield is crowded this year, but Wilkerson is expected to be the guy in Centerfield.

“Yeah, this guy is front line outfielder,” says Showalter. He’s capable of playing everyday. I like his ability at left handed pitching. Statistically, it’s very intriguing. We were lucky to get a guy of his caliber.”

No matter what team, Centerfield is always a key position. But for Texas, they're outfield is expected to revolve around Wilkerson. He's a good defensive player, but Texas is expecting a whole lot more.

No comments: