Monday, March 20, 2006

Former Cowboys Safety George Teague Still Defends The Star

Former Dallas Cowboys Safety George Teague was as shocked as anyone when the Cowboys signed Wide Receiver Terrell Owens to a contract.

“I was a little speechless, I think because I really didn't know what it meant,” said Teague at Harvest Christian Academy. “I guess I didn’t know how it was going to affect the fans, and everything.”

As the Athletic Director and Head Football coach of Harvest Christian Academy in Watauga, its his job to teach Discipline and Character to kids of all ages.

Ever since that incident at Texas Stadium on September 24, 2000, Teague has become known as the defender of the Star, when he stopped Terrell Owens from showboating at midfield, and disrespecting the Cowboys Star.

Said Owens at his signing press conference, “I know a lot of people are going to hit me with questions about the star, and no disrespect, you know, did I have at that particular time. I was just a competitor. But just as Emmitt did, when I stood on that Star, I'm going to embrace it from here on out.”

What did Teague thing about his comments. “I heard the same I'm sorry that he said to Donovan McNabb when he was playing with the Eagles, and it didn't really mean anything. It was the right thing to say, at the right time, in front of the right people. That's all. (Just words?) Just words.”

Teague went on to offer the following observation. “I can for give Terrell Owens for the fact, because that is the right thing to do, and that is what I would tell anybody else, especially being a Christian and everything else, we are supposed to forgive, but, forgiving doesn't mean forgetting.

Teague says he has all the respect in the world for Jerry Jones as an Owner of the Dallas cowboys, but…..

“I know he passed up on some other guys, maybe because of some character issues,” he says. “In hindsight, as an owner though, I can see him saying, well now that I was worried about all these character traits, I haven't been winning, like I was in the past, so maybe I need to revert back and take a risk, on a guy that may be able to take us to that next level. So, does that mean I still agree with him, probably not, but I can see as owner trying to make money, trying to win football game, I can see why he would want Terrell Owens here.”

“I can for give Terrell Owens ah for the fact, because that is the right thing to do, and that is what I would tell anybody else, especially being a Christian and everything else, we are supposed to forgive, but, forgiving doesn't mean forgetting.”


Teague will forever be known as the defender of the star, and he hopes his former nemesis learns something about respect.

No comments: