Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Cowboys Linebacker Greg Ellis Is Enjoying His Finest Season


Cowboys linebacker Greg Ellis is having a great year. Last Thursday, Ellis notched the 17th multiple sack game of his career. His 10 and half so far is a single-season career best and he can thank Cowboys Head Coach Wade Phillips’ system.

“What we are is a team that has a lot of exotic things that we do not necessarily predicated on what the offense is giving us,” says Ellis.

His teammate, Defensive End Chris Canty is impressed with what Ellis is doing. “I mean I've been telling people this for three years, Greg Ellis might not have had enough time to get there, but I've never seen him get blocked in pass protection,’ he says. “I’ve never seen it happen.”

It was in week nine, nearly thirteen months ago, that Ellis thought his career might be over. He tore an Achilles tendon in Arizona, and in sports, that may be one of toughest injuries to overcome.

“I don't know how it happened. It just felt like somebody kicked me,” says Ellis remembering that day.

Ellis made it a point to return to the field that day and walk off under his own power, just in case it was his last game. We know now, it wasn't

By week seven of this season, Ellis was starting again. He leads the team in sacks, is fourth in the NFL, and has a theory as to why he's been able come back strong from such a serious injury.

Says Ellis, “When I tore my Achilles, somebody had actually stepped on it as opposed to it just rupturing just out of the blue. Does that make a difference, I don't know. But my common sense would say, someone actually put pressure on it to break it, you know, as opposed to you just running, and it snaps.” That he says may have been the key to his amazing recover.

Whatever happened Ellis knows he's a lucky man.

No comments: