Friday, December 14, 2007

Jason Witten's Record Setting Year


Jason Witten is a Pro Bowl tight end who makes Pro Bowl type plays for the Dallas Cowboys. His catch against the Philadelphia Eagles last month was one for the ages when he was hit, lost his helmet and kept going on a play that gained 53-yards.

“I've always like him but now I like him more than ever,” explained John Madden who was the color analyst for the NBC Sunday night broadcast team.

Former Cowboys Tight end Billy Joe Dupree is impressed as well. “He's a tough guy,” Dupree says laughing. “He's a tough guy.”

Was Dupree ever that tough? “Different time yeah, but I always kept my helmet on,” says Dupree.

What Witten is doing is next to phenomenal. He's always had the size, the speed and the hands, but now in his fifth year in the NFL, he's also rewriting the record book.

Since Witten entered the league, only Tony Gonzalez has more catches. No other tight end in Cowboys history has more yardages after he passed Doug Cosbie last week for the top spot, a record he had held since 1988.

He is just 7-receptions shy of Jay Novacek's franchise record of 339,
but he will need three more touchdowns if he expects to top Billy Joe Dupree's 1978 record of 9.

“I made my living 20-yards on in,” says Dupree. As for his touchdown record, he says “Well, let's call that a deficiency rating. Actually, its odd that it happens that way, because during my career, my position initially was used as the western union man, to deliver the messages to Roger. So actually, that put me in half the game.”

Witten takes his success in stride. “Its kind of hard to sit back and look back at it, but i don't think I'm one of those guys that really looks at those kind of things. I think one day it will be special for me, and those guys are great players and those records have stood here for a long time. You know to be in that mix, that’s going to be special for me one day, hopefully I can get some of those records.”

Some already think Witten is the top Tight End in team history. “That is special, it is just because there have been so many good ones play. I think you take pride in being that buy, and you always want to be the best.”

Here is a look at where Jason Witten Stands in three key categories:


Most Receiving Yards for Cowboys Tight Ends:

Jason Witten 3,793
Doug Cosbie 3,728

Most receptions for Cowboys Tight Ends:

Jay Novacek 339
Jason Witten 332

Most Touchdowns in a single season for Cowboys Tight Ends:

Billy Joe Dupree 9 1978
Billy Joe Dupree 7 1980
David LaFleur 7 1999
Jason Witten 7 2007

No comments: