Monday, August 29, 2005

Jason Ferguson Returns from Injury

Monday's practice for the Dallas Cowboys at Valley Ranch was all about a quick recovery. The team played a preseason game Saturday night and began preparing for the last preseason game on Thursday. This day was also about getting Nose Tackle Jason Ferguson back on the field.

Cowboys Head Coach Bill Parcells said “We're going to work him out in pads before the practice today, and we'll see how he does. He's doing better. But I don't want to set him back either.”

For Ferguson, it will be his last chance to try and get on the field with the Cowboys, before the season starts. But if he can't play Thursday, Ferguson says, he isn't worried one bit.

“I’m a football player,” he said, “so that's all I've been doing. I’ve learned how to cover plays where I'm at. So if it takes that long, (until the season opener) I'm hoping it won't, but if it takes that long, I think I'll be fine.”

Ferguson was drafted by Parcells in 1997, and wanted him back to anchor his defense, signing a 5-year contract, with a 9-million dollar bonus.

The last time we saw him on the field, before today, was training camp in Oxnard, California. His ankle injury has kept him from playing a single play in preseason, yet he will not doubt himself.

“Naw naw, I won't have any doubt. If I'm taking that field, I'm taking it knowing what's at stake. I'm definitely not looking down, looking back. What if I step wrong, you can't go out then, then they'll wonder, what did they give him that money for,” he said laughing.

Parcells thing his big off seasoning will be on the field opening day. “I think he'll definitely be ready for San Diego. I'd like to get him some plays Thursday night if I can, but if I can't, I can't,” said Parcells. “I mean, its not like he hasn't played in the league before, but I would like him to get some if he can.”
Getting back on the field will allow Ferguson to get off the stationary bike. “Yeah yeah, I've got the lance Armstrong jokes, they've been killing me,” he said.

Ferguson knows how to play football, that's the issue, but he hasn't played any in Dallas, and playing at least a few plays in the last preseason game should put him and his teammates at ease. At least, Parcells hopes that happens.

No comments: