Friday, August 12, 2005

No Choice

Football is all about team work and making sacrifices, and this year for the Cowboys, no one is being forced to make more sacrifices in their careers than Greg Ellis and La'Roi Glover.

Ellis came to camp, knowing that his smaller body size, will be needed to play defensive end in the newly installed 3-4 defense. The teams leading in sacks the past four years, may be a backup.

Says Ellis, “I'm going to go out there and do what I am asked to do, to the best of my ability. If i can't get it done, in my mind, if a player can't get his job done, he's a problem. He doesn't have a place on the football team. To be honest with you, that was my concern, that I won't be able to go out there and get done, what needs to be done."

Glover, who has been to five consecutive pro bowls, may be seeing reserve duties behind Jason Ferguson at nose tackle. It’s not like he may have a choice.

“I'll do it. I'll do it,” Glover says reluctantly, “I'll be a professional about it, but who doesn't want to start. It’s as simple as that. If I can Bill Parcells him that I can have some success in the 3-4, then anything can happen. That's the approach I'm taking."

Ellis and Glover aren’t alone. Even Eric Ogbogu, who is starting his 8th year in the league, is having a to learn a new position. He is switching from the defensive line to linebacker, but has to be prepared to play both positions.

“You have an option, you can go somewhere else, but I like the Cowboys organization, says Ogbogu. “I think that Bill Parcells is a great coach, Jerry Jones is a great owner, and I think this team is going somewhere. If this is what the team wants to do to win, then this is what I'm going to try to do to help this team win."

Ellis, Glover and Ogbogu are learning an important lesson at this training camp. If you want to play, you better be flexible, because in Bill Parcells world, its his way, or the highway.

No comments: