Thursday, August 25, 2005

Search for Right Tackle

The Cowboys had two practices at Valley Ranch Thursday, one day after they cut right tackle last years second round draft pick Jacob Rogers. It was their first day outside, in the Texas heat, since returning from Oxnard, California.

Dallas is still looking for a right tackle. Will it be Rob Petitti, Torrin Tucker or Kurt Vollers? Who knows.

Tucker and Vollers have a combined 26-starts in the NFL, which may make it tougher for Petitti to get the job.

Says Parcells, “Well I don't know that I could ever feel, a hundred percent confident in starting any rookie, to start the season. And I don't know that he will start. I really don't. But that's the way it is right now.”

Petitti was the teams second pick in the 6th round, and the 209th player taken overall. He doesn't think its his job to lose just yet, but he knows he would rather start than be a backup. Of course, Rogers had the job, but according to the Cowboys, couldn’t handle the pain or the injuries.

“It is hard, but like I said, guys have helped me out,” says Petitti. “I've just got to study my book. I'm starting to learn how to watch film, what to look for, but there's a lot of things that I'm starting to realize I have to do that I didn't have to do in college.”

Tucker knows its a matter of pride every time he takes the field and would like to add to his 14-starts in two seasons.

“Its always a matter of pride when you step out here on the football field,” says Tucker, “because its you and him. Either your going to win on that play, or he is going to win at that play.”

The right tackle spot has been an issue all through training camp. It hasn't been settle yet, and the release of Jacob Rogers has taken competition at that spot in a whole new direction. There’s a chance Larry Allen might still be moved, but that would open up the middle, and give Drew Bledsoe less protection in the pocket.

Just another day at training camp.

No comments: