Friday, October 14, 2005

Drew Bledsoe Hitting Mark In Dallas

Quarterback Drew Bledsoe's resurgence with the Cowboys has caught the attention of the rest of the league. Not since the days of Troy Aikman has the Dallas offense shown consistent ability to move the ball.

“I do think he still has that edge of having something to prove,” says Head Coach Bill Parcells. “He feels like it, whatever it is, I mean the guy has thrown for 40-thousand yards. I don't know what else you got to do, but he seems to have that sense.”

In his 12-years before Dallas, Bledsoe had an average quarterback rating of 76. This year, he leads the NFC with a rating of 102. Being sack free, twice in five games certainly helps, and beating the defending NFC Champions has raised the bar.

“That now becomes our standard,” says Bledsoe. “That's what we expect. Can we attain that same level of execution every week, probably not, but that certainly is the standard now that we expect ourselves to live up to.”

“I do think winning and performing is important to him,” adds Parcells. “I do think, especially now, where he is his career. It’s more precious to him now to do well. Also, I think the difference now in Drew, and when I first had him, is his preparation. He knows what to do.”

The 17-points Dallas scored against the Eagles on Sunday in week five, was the first time all year that Cowboys scored in the first period. Bledsoe has also had three games where he has been interception free, plus the protection by the offensive line was superior.

“I'll play until I'm Vinny's (Testaverde) age,” says Bledsoe. “Especially, If we get protection like we had last week. I mean, if we don't run a couple of quarterback sneaks, I didn't get touched the entire game, so that's a great feeling.”

Bledsoe has already thrown 10 touchdowns, and is certainly on pace to top 20. The last time a Cowboys quarterback reached that mark was Troy Aikman in 1992, when he had 23. The Cowboys record for touchdowns in a season is 29, set by Danny White in 1983.

No comments: