Tuesday, October 04, 2005

John Hart Leaves AS GM Of The Texas Rangers

John Hart's resignation as General Manager of the Texas Rangers came just two days after the season ended. For Hart, it was the third losing season in four years, and any thought that he was forced to resign, were quickly put to rest.

“I'm the owner of the team,” said Tom Hicks. “This is something that has been openly talked about on a very planned basis, and John Hart did resign. Period.

Hart didn’t respond to that question, since Hicks interrupted the question, before Hart had a chance to answer it. Later he did say, “In response to that question there, this was my decision, this was my decision, he said. “I have talked to Tom about it. People are always looking, it seems to be in a lot of ways, for more, and for me it was a personal deal. I'm ready to move into the next stage, it’s that simple. Its that simple.

The teams’ future now lies in the hands of Jon Daniels, who at 28, has become the youngest General Manager in Major League History. He says age will not be a factor.

“I've developed a mutual respect with everyone in the organization,” says Daniels. “I believe that the trust, the loyalty that's there, makes it a non issue.”

Buck Showalter, the teams field general, doesn’t see a problem working with such a young, and inexperienced general manager. “When he has an opinion, he's very confident, and I think that's something that John Hart saw in JD. If he's met John Hart's approval, then he's passed a real tough litmus test.”

As of now, Hart isn’t totally out of the Texas organization, because he will stay with the team as a senior advisor.

“It was the right time for me. I've got other personal interests and things that, I'm looking to do, that I haven't done.”

Hart wanted to leave last year but was talked into staying by owner Tom Hicks. This year, Hart gets his wish and Jon Daniels gets the challenge of his life.

No comments: